The Water Resources Management Division (WRMD) of RTI International is a team of water resources engineers and scientists that provide environmental science solutions and leading-edge technology products to address the increasing demand for environmental decision support in an ever-changing world. Our core areas of technical expertise include hydrological and hydraulic modeling; river basin modeling, monitoring, and data analysis; watershed management; forecasting for flood, drought, and natural resources management; hydrologic hazards risk assessment, consequences analysis, and mitigation; climate change impact on water resources and adaptation methodologies; hydro-economics and ecosystems services; data management, systems integration, and web application development; and decision support systems (DSS). WRMD’s vision is “To be a global leader in water security; providing sustainable solutions through effective water resources management”.
This candidate will work with a team to develop and execute our North American water resources business development strategy within RTI's Environment and Health Sciences (EHS) Research unit. Responsibilities will include supporting business development and managing proposal activity from early capture phases through proposal submission. The Water Management BD Lead will report to the Business Development Director. This position will be based in Fort Collins, CO; Research Triangle Park, NC; or Washington, DC.
This person will support WRMD staff in a range of activities including but not limited to:
• Establishing and maintaining relationships with partner organizations, technical and trade representatives, and government agencies as well as both existing and target customers
• Screening and documenting business development and proposal activities in RTI’s contact and opportunity management system
• Communicating directly with contacts and clients including travel to locations to gather technical inputs for proposals; identify local partners; meet with donors, potential beneficiaries, and stakeholders; and help recruit project personnel
• Leading, planning, preparing, and reviewing major proposals
• Tracking and evaluating emerging market opportunities and identifying pathways to organizational growth beyond existing capacities
Minimum Required Education & Experience
• Master’s degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, etc. with a focus on water resources management and a minimum of 10 years of experience or equivalent education/experience (i.e. Bachelor’s degree and 12 years).
• Demonstrated track record of success in business development, proposal development, and project / program management
• Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: river basin modeling, watershed management, reservoir operations, hydrologic forecasting, water quality, groundwater, coastal engineering, or water policy planning.
• Proven ability to effectively plan and implement strategic business plans, including formation and cultivation of strategic alliances in the environmental/ water resources sector.
• Experience working with and demonstrated understanding of North American federal, state, and local agencies as well as river basin commissions and water utilities preferred.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
• Critical and strategic thinker, able to identify issues and opportunities, provide solutions and reach consensus with multiple stakeholders
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to interact with a diverse and cross-cultural candidate and client population
• Demonstrated successful track record in building relationships clients; ability to interact effectively and positively with all levels of internal and external clients and colleagues
• Ability to work independently and collaborate with others to incorporate and enhance technical capital outside area of primary expertise
• Excellent interpersonal, networking and presentation skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure
Relevant writing samples may be requested. Must be able to work in the U.S. without requirement of sponsorship.
Internal Number: 1800B
About RTI International
RTI is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services in health and pharmaceuticals, advanced technology, survey and statistics, education and training, economic and social development, and the environment. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.