Under the general supervision and direction of the City Manager, this management position will oversee a multi-division department that is intended to provide and maintain dependable, cost effective, high quality Public Works services to our customers. The Director of Public Works will provide leadership in the planning, coordinating, directing, communicating and evaluating of a comprehensive public works program consistent with City Council policies, federal, state and metropolitan regulations. Specifically, this position is responsible for the planning, design, construction, operation, maintenance, renewal and replacement of the City’s streets, parks, utilities, storm water management, and maintenance and replacement of the City’s vehicle equipment fleet.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans, directs, coordinates and manages all functions of a comprehensive Public Works Department including developing operation performance, goals and objectives to assure the required services are being provided at the highest quality level, on a sound business basis consistent with the needs of the City.
- Evaluates public works needs, policies, procedures and practices and formulates short-term and long-term goals, objectives and plans to ensure the highest level of service through an innovative and effective program at the most favorable cost to the public. Reviews, prioritizes, and approves department operational plans. Regularly monitors operations to ensure compliance and relevant performance measures and guidelines.
- Facilitates development of a long term vision for the Department, including comprehensive infrastructure plans, facility needs, equipment and vehicle fleet type and size, services to be provided and ways to provide those services.
- Develops short and long-range operational plans for sewer and water systems, wells and well equipment, construction and maintenance of streets and other paved surfaces, and monitors existing operations and plans to ensure overall effectiveness.
- Provides counsel and information to the City Manager, City Council and other officials on issues as they relate to public works and the objective of developing solutions which will meet the needs of the City most effectively. Participates with City Management officials in determining and implementing overall policy and goal direction for the City Council where such policies impact public works.
- Develops, prepares and recommends comprehensive budget programs in all areas of public works including construction, maintenance, utilities, equipment and supportive services to insure Department’s ability to carry out its planned program.
- Supervises the preparation of the Capital Improvement Plan, infrastructure management plans, feasibility studies and other reports in conjunction with other staff and/or the Finance Department.
- Manages the purchase, maintenance, and use of equipment and facilities, including materials and supplies, in a timely and cost effective manner. Reviews specifications for equipment purchases and projects in a manner that is accurate, timely and results in appropriate and cost-effective equipment and improvements.
- Recommends organization structure, staffing, personnel actions and functions to maximize the most effective use of resources and selects strategies for evaluating, monitoring, and reporting.
- Effectively supervises personnel, ensuring the effective operation of the department in compliance with administrative policies and procedures. Maintains proper accountability and communications among staff levels.
- Evaluates ongoing personnel job assignments, programs, procedures and operations to identify potential improvements to operational performance goals and objectives. Provides leadership/coaching to Public Works management personnel and on-going review and feedback concerning department goals, projects and priorities.
- Provides leadership role in departmental employee issues involving adherence to policies, procedures, and discipline. Effectively responds to union grievances and bargaining unit requests. Confers with Human Resources Director on contract interpretations, City policy and other federal and state laws affecting City personnel.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the City Manager and other City Department Directors to ensure open communication and consistent initiatives to fulfill City mission and vision.
- Serves as City representative and liaison to other governmental agencies, professional organizations, residents, businesses and other stakeholders on subjects as they related to the City and Department. Expresses department positions with diplomacy and political awareness along with displaying interpersonal tact and sensitivity to community concerns when dealing with citizens.
- Keeps current on new developments in legislation, engineering, public works and government regulations which affect operations. Reviews and evaluates innovative concepts and approaches, new equipment, and assistance programs.
- Negotiates complex agreements and acquisitions for Manager/Council approval; represents the City and acts as a liaison with external agencies involving policy issues or requiring higher visibility.
- Directs special studies involving public works and takes appropriate action to improve public works services to the City.
- Effectively directs the work of a wide range of consultants involved in various public and private development activities to ensure that the City’s objectives are achieved.
- Ensures Public Works divisions respond to emergencies promptly, effectively and efficiently.
- Drafts ordinances, amendments to ordinances, resolutions, and other documents as needed.
- Ensures staff maintains accurate records of activities completed, equipment and material utilized and problems encountered.
- Plans and/or directs implementation of safety programs.
- Ensures Department’s conformance with all State and Federal statutes and regulations related to Public Works.
- Places a high priority on effective community relations and communications including inquiries from citizens and users.
These examples are intended only as illustrations of various types of work performed, and are not necessarily all inclusive. The job description is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exhibits a collaborative management style and the ability to form strong cooperative working relationships within the City and across traditional department lines.
- Thorough practical knowledge of utility, parks, streets and storm water drainage system maintenance principles and practices including short and long range planning of maintenance and construction activities.
- Demonstrated experience in managing multiple programs and complex projects to completion. Ability to assess problem and situations, anticipate needs and evaluate alternatives.
- Demonstrated ability to direct, delegate, supervise, evaluate and motivate a wide variety of personnel.
- Strong ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing especially with the City Manager and City Council.
- Strong understanding of laws, rules and regulations governing construction contracts and projects.
- High ability to analyze problems and identify alternative solutions.
- High ability to handle confidential and sensitive information appropriately.
- Ability to build partnerships with other governmental units, developers, businesses, community groups and citizens.
- Ability to prepare and administer a department budget and Capital Improvement Plan.
- Ability to be detail-oriented and to follow through with tasks.
- Ability to perform research, assemble information and prepare complex reports and studies as need.
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Practical knowledge of all equipment and materials used in operation and maintenance of roadways, parks and utility systems.