Assist Senior Engineer with design work involving all aspects of civil engineering earthwork projects. Work elements may involve some or all of the following: Civil 3D drafting, analysis, design, report preparation on mining, water resource, renewable energy, and hydropower projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Participate in the planning and designing of earthwork projects and building structures following standard procedures. Typical projects will include waste rock facilities, heaping leach facilities, tailings storage facilities and their ancillary works.
- Produce civil/geotechnical analyses, preparation of proposals, bid documents and capital cost estimates, construction drawings and design reports.
- Participate in short to medium duration field assignments within the US and abroad. Field work assignments could involve geotechnical site investigations and construction observation, quality control and/or quality assurance.
- Be actively involved in assisting with permitting, reclamation and closure activities and design work.
- Prepare civil layout using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Keep management advised of work status, workload, problems, and progress as related to work assignments.
Competency to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following skills:
- Analytical - Collect and/or research data; Synthesize and/or collate complex or diverse information; Use intuition and experience to complement the findings; Make recommendations on work plans and procedures.
- Design - Generate creative solutions; Translate concepts and information into plans; Use feedback from others including clients to modify designs as appropriate; Apply design principles consistent with good engineering practice; Pay attention to detail, Produce a quality product.
- Problem Solving - Identify and assist in resolving problems in a timely manner; Develop solutions; Work well in group problem solving situations; Use reason and sound engineering judgment even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Be aware of own strengths and weaknesses and act within them (seek help when necessary); Pursue training and development opportunities; Strive to continuously improve by building knowledge and skills; Share your expertise with others.
- Client Focus - Manage client situations; Provide information and assistance to clients as needed; Respond promptly to client needs; Solicit client feedback to improve service; Meet commitments to clients.
- Oral Communication - Speak clearly and persuasively in both positive or challenging situations; Listen and seek clarification as required; Respond well to questions; Exhibit good presentation skills.
- Team Work - Balance team and individual responsibilities; Exhibit objectivity and openness to others' views; Give and welcome feedback; Contribute to building a positive team environment; Put success of team above own interests; Support other’s efforts to succeed; Recognize accomplishments of other’s.
- Written Communication - Write clearly and informatively; Edit work for spelling and grammar; Vary writing style to meet needs; Present numerical data clearly and effectively; Provide clear assessments and recommendations; Read and efficiently interpret written information.
- Adaptability - Adapt to changes in the work environment; Manage competing and multi-task demands; Change approach or method to best fit the situation; Deal effectively with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Initiative - Volunteer readily; Undertake self-development activities; Seek increased responsibilities; Take independent actions where appropriate; Look for and takes advantage of opportunities; Ask for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Display original thinking and creativity; Meet challenges with resourcefulness; Generate suggestions for improving work; Develop innovative approaches and ideas; Present ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
Work Environment will be in both an office and field environment with travel to various outdoor sites determined by project needs. Adherence to safety standards including those of the firm, MSHA, OSHA is mandatory.