Perform engineering duties as a fully competent and experienced engineer in all aspects of rail vehicle systems. Duties include working on a range of rail vehicle systems engineering tasks, requiring independent evaluation, selection, adaptation and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria, and assisting in the resolution of complex engineering, community, planning, and policy issues.
1. Provide professional engineering services in developing and reviewing conceptual and detailed design of electrical and mechanical rail vehicle systems, including propulsion, lighting, cab control system, sanding system, doors, bridgeplates, couplers, bodies, carbody and train-to wayside communication.
2. Prepare designs, calculations, cost estimates, documentation and public presentation material related to rail vehicle systems, maintenance, and overhaul.
3. Evaluate the functional feasibility, electrical and mechanical design, and system reliability of various electrical and mechanical systems, equipment, and hardware associated with future and existing MAX system as they relate to the rail vehicle system maintenance and overhaul. Coordinate with other TriMet engineers, staff and consultants to ensure compatible designs.
4. Review product and systems submittals for compliance with contract requirements and TriMet criteria. Prepare documents for the overhaul of rail vehicles and rail vehicle systems, installations and equipment.
5. Assist with administration of contracts relating to the overhaul procurement, installation, testing and start-up of various rail vehicle systems, hardware, software, and related equipment. Coordinate with consultants and other system and civil contracts on construction issues.
6. Prepare minutes, documentation, specifications and technical reports, and review such material generated by others. Assist with preparation of contract specifications and bid documents.
7. Work and coordinate with other TriMet engineering, planning, operations staff, staff from other jurisdictions and consultants.
8. Monitor overhaul and manufacturing activities to assure contractual compliance. Perform field measurements and calculations to verify quantities and quality of completed work. Assist with contracts administration for management of overhaul contracts.
9. Provide lead expert guidance to consultants, engineering technicians, drafters and other support staff as required for specific assignments and within the guidelines provided by the REM Technical Support Manager.
10. Represent TriMet at various interagency meetings as a technical representative.
A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree is required.
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related field. Professional Engineering registration from the State of Oregon required.
A minimum of eight (8) years total credited experience*. Experience as a competent, practicing engineer, including three years of experience in an area directly applicable to rail vehicle systems design, inspection, and manufacturing or overhaul management.
Or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
* The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the "credited experience".
3 openings. Employer will assist with relocation costs.
TriMet provides bus, light rail and commuter rail service in the Portland, Oregon, region. Our transportation options connect people with their community, while easing traffic congestion and reducing air pollution — making our region a better place to live.