GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs civil engineering work at the intermediate professional level in the field and office; does related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: Positions in this class require the application of professional engineering knowledge and skills in basic thorough intermediate level engineering projects. Engineering knowledge will have been gained through formal education and through work experience in the traffic engineering field. Assignment affords opportunities for independent planning of work details. General supervision is provided from higher grade engineers. The Traffic Engineer supervises and directs traffic technicians and maintenance workers.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
· Administer and analyze traffic studies (speed studies, traffic counts, etc );
· Interact with citizens to determine appropriate traffic calming techniques for the improvement of traffic conditions in residential areas;
· Provide limited technical supervision to traffic technician and maintenance workers with regards to traffic control devices;
· Attend evening meetings with community traffic committees to discuss neighborhood traffic concerns;
· Receive and respond to citizen inquiries and complaints;
· Administer the installation of new traffic control devices including signs, pavement markings and traffic signals; administer maintenance of same as well as existing equipment;
· Review plans for capital projects, work zone traffic control, new subdivision signing, commercial development and traffic signals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of Federal, State and Local traffic regulations including the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, traffic engineering standards and practices, traffic calming techniques and residential traffic control procedures and practices. Good oral and written communication skills to include public speaking, telephone etiquette and letter writing. Computer software skills to include word processing, spread sheets, e-mail, and traffic engineering software. Ability to manage work flow and to supervise the work of others. Ability to diplomatically discuss traffic problems and solutions in layman’s terms with citizens of widely varied opinions. Graduation from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredited college or university with a bachelor of science degree in civil engineering with related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Possession of an Engineer-In-Training Certificate and a valid driver’s license.
About City of Annapolis - Engineering and Construction